A Resource For All To Learn & Grow
New Additions To Covenant's Library
Covenant Library receives a steady stream of new additions from the Adult Education Committee and through donations. Here are just a few of our varied recent acquisitions:
The Gospel According to the Simpsons: The spiritual life of the world's most animated family ("Spiritual Growth" section)
The Life of Muhammad ("Comparative Religions" section)
Christianity for the Rest of Us: How the neighborhood church is transforming the faith ("Church Growth" section)
Healing After Loss: Daily Meditations for Working through Grief ("Bereavement" section)
Interpretation: A Bible commentary for teaching and preaching: Luke ("Bible Study, specific book" section)
I Love God's Green Earth: Devotions for kids who want to take care of God's creation ("Children Devotions" section)
There's something for everyone! The Adult Education Committee invites you to "check out" these books and other great resources in Covenant Library!
The following are new books supporting the Animate: Practice adult education series. Books are listed by date they have/will occur and by presenter/author within the series.
"Food: Eating, With Jesus"
Presented by Sara Miles
Recent Books By Sara Miles:
- City of God: Faith in the Streets
- Jesus Freak:
Raising the Dead
- Take This Bread: The Spiritual Memoir
of a Twenty-First Century Christian
"Worship: Seeking God's Presence"
Presented by Mike Slaughter
Recent Books by Mike Slaughter:
- Change the World:
Recovering the Message and Mission of Jesus
Responding to the Partisan Church Divide
"Sacraments: A Tapestry of Traditions"
Presented by Phyllis Tickle
Book by Phyllis Tickle
- The Divine Hours: Prayers for Autumn
"Community: An Unexpected Family" Presented by Doug Pagitt
Recent Books by Doug Pagitt
- A Christianity Worth Believing:
Hope-Filled, Open-Armed, Alive-And-Well Faith
For the Left Out, Left Behind, and Let Down in Us All
- Community In The Inventive Age
"Service: The Needs Right Around You"
Presented by Enuma Okoro
Recent Books by Enuma Okoro
- Reluctant Pilgrim: A Moody, Somewhat Self-Indulgent Introvert's Search for Spiritual Community
- Silence and Other Surprising Invitations of Advent
"Money: The Joy of Sharing"
Presented by Shane Claiborne
Recent Books by Shane Claiborne
- Jesus For President: Politics For Ordinary Radicals
- The Irresistible Revolution: Living As An Ordinary Radical
Additional new titles in the Covenant Library:
The CEB Study Bible with Apocrypha
By: Common English Bible (Author), Joel B. Green (Editor)
Publisher: Common English Bible; First Printing edition (October 15, 2013)
Embodied Light: Advent Reflections On The Incarnation
By: Melissa Tidwell
Publisher: Upper Room (September 1, 2013)
Did you enjoy the art shown in The Rev. Bette Duff's sermon, "Dance, David, Dance"? Paintings, drawings and sculptures of people in the Bible literally offer us a new way to see stories. We may notice new details or relate to a story in a new way. You may be interested in these books the Covenant Library recently added to its, "Music & Arts" section:
- Great Biblical Characters: Illustrated Profiles of People in the Bible, By: Corinne Bonnet and Paolo Xella
- The Life of Christ in Art, By: Nancy Grubb
- Jesus of Nazareth, By: Frances Lincoln
- The Illustrated Jesus Through The Centuries, By: Jaroslav Pelikan
- The Living Gospels of Jesus Christ, By: J.B.Phillips
- The Bible in Art, By: Susan Wright
Mindfulness Meditation Resources:
- Kornfield, Jack. Meditation for Beginners: Everything you need to know to start meditating now. DVD.
- Salzberg, Sharon. Guided Meditations for Love and Wisdom: 14 Essential Practices. 2 CDs.
- Kabat-Zinn, Jon. Guided Mindfulness Meditation. 4 Practice CDs.
(Many used in the creation of the parenting course taught by Linda Nylund)
- Bailey, Becky A. I Love You Rituals. 2000.
- Brown, Brene. Daring Greatly: How The Courage to Be Vulnerable Transforms the Way We Live, Love, Parent, and Lead. 2012.
- Chapman, Gary; Campbell, Ross. The Five Love Languages of Children. 2012.
- Clarke, Jean Illsley. How Much Is Enough? 2003.
- Faber. Adele; Mazlish, Elaine. How to Talk So Kids Will Listen and Listen So Kids Will Talk. 2012.
- Kabat-Zinn, Jon and Myla. Everyday Blessings: The Inner Work of Mindful Parenting. 2014.
- Rosenberg, Marshall B. Nonviolent Communication. 2nd Edition. 2003.
- Siegel, Daniel L.; Bryson, Tina Payne. No Drama Discipline: The Whole-Brain Way to Calm the Chaos and Nurture Your Child's Developing Mind. 2014.
- Siegel, Daniel L.; Bryson, Tina Payne. The Whole-Brain Child: 12 Revolutionary Strategies to Nurture Your Child's Developing Mind. 2012.
- Siegel, Daniel L.; Hartzell, Mary. Parenting From The Inside Out. 2014.
We recently acquired books to help guide people through a variety of situations; including parenting and dealing with stress, losing a loved one (books for children and adults), and dealing with addiction.
God Knows You're Stressed: Simple Way to Restore Your Balance
By: Anne Bryan Smollin, "Coping" section
From Age-ing to Sage-ing: A Profound New Vision of Growing Older
By: Zalman Schachter-Shalomi & Ronald S. Miller, "Aging" section
My Journey Into Alzheimer's Disease: Helpful Insights for Family & Friends
By: Robert Davis, "Care-giving" section
Tear Soup: A Recipe for Healing After Loss (A storybook for children of all ages)
By: Pat Schwiebert & Chuck DeKlyen, "Bereavement" section
The Interpreter's Bible (replaces The Interpreter's Bible series from 1952). Each volume in this series includes:
- Two translations of the Bible side by side (New International Version and New Revised Standard Version), including the Apocryphal & Deuterocanonical Books, along with Commentaries.
- Reflection Pieces that relate the verses to each other, to history and to current concerns.
- Introductory Articles that discuss historical background, cultural setting, literary concerns and theological issues.
- General Articles about the Bible, each Testament, and various types of literature (Narrative, Gospel, Wisdom Literature, etc.).
- Visual Aids, such as illustrations, maps, charts and timelines.
Grab Bags For Children
" Grab bags" are available for children, parents and/or grandparents with books on topics to help facilitate discussion about major life changes and faith development. Click here for a complete list of books within each topic. These books can be found in the Children's and Parenting sections. The bags have been created by the Christian Ministries Committee.
Click here for library additions since January 2014.
Cindy Lovell, Volunteer Librarian & Chair of the Library Committee
a Sub-Committee of the Adult Education Committe